Consultation for Block Offer 2015 opens
Energy and Resources Minister Simon Bridges has opened consultation on the proposed Petroleum Block Offer 2015.
The proposal includes three onshore areas and four offshore areas.
- 15TAR-R2 Onshore Taranaki Basin (1,290.1 square kilometres)
- 15WEC-R1 Onshore West Coast Basin (2,523.9 square kilometres)
- 15WEC-R2 Onshore West Coast Basin (2,036.2 square kilometres)
- 15PEG-R1 Offshore Pegasus and Offshore East Coast Basins (79,067.4 square kilometres)
- 15NRN-R1 Offshore Northland-Reinga Basins (187,851.8 square kilometres)
- 15TAR-R1 Offshore Taranaki Basin (61,484.7 square kilometres)
- 15GSC-R1 Offshore Great-South Canterbury Basin (141,756.6 square kilometres)
The total acreage included in the proposal is over 476,000 square kilometres, compared with the 434,000 square kilometres the government consulted on for Block Offer 2014.
The government will consult with affected iwi, hapū and local authorities from 14 November to 9 February. The purpose of consultation is to give affected parties the opportunity to identify sensitive areas not already protected by legislation. Options for additional protection include removing areas from the Block Offer, or putting conditions on activities within the area to recognise its importance.
Once consultation is complete a final tender for petroleum exploration permits will be announced in March 2015.