Legislation we act under
We are responsible for administering the Crown Minerals Act, related regulations, and the minerals and petroleum programmes. Collectively, these are referred to as the Crown minerals legislation.
This legislation consists of:
- Crown Minerals Act 1991, which is the primary piece of legislation
- Crown Minerals (Minerals Other than Petroleum) Regulations 2007
- Crown Minerals (Minerals and Coal) Regulations 2007
- Crown Minerals (Petroleum) Regulations 2007
- Crown Minerals (Minerals Fees) Regulations 2016
- Crown Minerals (Petroleum Fees) Regulations 2016
- Crown Minerals (Royalties for Minerals Other than Petroleum) Regulations 2013
- Crown Minerals (Royalties for Petroleum) Regulations 2013.
The Minerals Programme for Petroleum and the Minerals Programme for Minerals (excluding petroleum) give detail about how to implement the requirements of the Act.
The Programmes set out the policies and procedures followed for the allocation of mineral resources and managing permit changes. They also set out requirements for consultation with iwi and hapū, including the matters that must be consulted on (such as specified permit applications) and consultation principles.
- The Minerals Programme for Petroleum 2013 [PDF 586KB]
- The Minerals Programme for Minerals (Excluding Petroleum) 2013 [PDF 2.6MB]